Private Rental Incentives
Private Rental Incentives encourage property owners to make their homes available for affordable rent to low income households with low or no support needs.
Further information can be obtained by contacting Housing Tasmania at email@example.com
or (03) 6166 3625.
Private Rental Incentives Program
The Private Rental Incentives Program is funded under Tasmania’s Affordable Housing Action Plan 2019-2023 (Action Plan 2).
The Program assists low income households into secure private rental accommodation at an affordable rent in partnership with Centacare Evolve Housing Ltd, a registered and experienced community housing provider.
Key features of the Program are:
- a single community housing provider (Centacare Evolve Housing) provides tenancy management services (statewide)
- lease terms of two years and guaranteed rent to the owner
- rents are capped at between 25 to 30 per cent below median rates
- incentive payment to owners is between $6,000 and $9,000 per annum
- preference for one and two-bedroom properties close to major urban centres
Property owners are paid an incentive to head lease suitable properties to Centacare Evolve Housing to manage the tenancy at an affordable rent. Interested property owners can submit an Application Form for Property Owners and Agents.
Housing Connect can help you apply to be a tenant under the Program. You must be able to show that you:
- live in Tasmania, not another state or territory
- are an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- are 18 years or older
- are a low income earner who is eligible to keep a Low Income Health Care Card
- do not have assets that could be used to meet your housing needs
- are able to afford the rent and meet income thresholds
- are able to live independently (with little to no support)
- are able to look after the property
A total of 200 tenancies will be assisted under this Program by 30 June 2023. Tenants under the former Pilot are eligible.
Further information is available in the Private Rental Incentives Fact Sheets below: