Private Rental Incentives
Private Rental Incentives encourage property owners to make their homes available for affordable rent to low income households with low or no support needs.
Further information can be obtained by contacting Housing Tasmania at email@example.com
or (03) 6166 3625.
The Private Rental Incentives Program
The Private Rental Incentives Program encourages property owners to make their homes available for affordable rent to low income households with low or no support needs.
The Program is funded under Tasmania’s Affordable Housing Action Plan 2019-2023 (Action Plan 2).
The Tasmanian Government expanded the capacity of the existing Private Rental Incentives (PRI) Program as part of the Commonwealth Government’s Debt Wavier Agreement. This will provide access for a further 50 eligible low income households by 2023 under Action Plan 2.
The Program assists low income households into secure private rental accommodation at an affordable rent in partnership with Centacare Evolve Housing, a registered and experienced community housing provider.
Key features of the Program are:
- a single community housing provider (Centacare Evolve Housing) provides tenancy management services (statewide)
- lease terms of two years and guaranteed rent to the property owner
- rents are capped at between 25 to 30 per cent below median rates
- incentive payment to owners is between $6,000 and $9,000 per annum
- preference for one and two-bedroom properties close to major urban centres
Property owners are paid an incentive to head lease suitable properties to Centacare Evolve Housing to manage the tenancy at an affordable rent. Interested property owners can submit an Application Form for Property Owners and Agents.
Housing Connect can help you apply to be a tenant under the Program. You must be able to show that you:
- live in Tasmania, not another state or territory
- are an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- are 18 years or older
- are a low income earner who is eligible to keep a Low Income Health Care Card
- do not have assets that could be used to meet your housing needs
- are able to afford the rent and meet income thresholds
- are able to live independently (with little to no support)
- are able to look after the property
A total of 250 tenancies will be assisted under this Program by 30 June 2023. Tenants under the former Pilot are eligible.
Please contact Communities Tasmania at firstname.lastname@example.org or (03) 6166 3625 for further information or refer to the fact sheets below:
- Application Form for Property Owners and Agents
- Private Rental Incentives Fact Sheet for Owners/Agents
- Private Rental Incentives Fact Sheet for Applicants/Tenants
National Rental Affordability Scheme - Property Owners and Tenants
With the Commonwealth Government’s National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS) coming to an end, the Tasmanian Government has amended the eligibility criteria for properties under the Private Rental Incentives Program.
Communities Tasmania willapply discretion for properties that are not new to the rental market and currently tenanted at the time of application (only this criteria) for properties exiting NRAS.
Where an NRAS property owner is considering applying for the Private Rental Incentives Program their current tenant may contact Housing Connect to be assessed for the Private Rental Incentives Program. If eligible, they will be placed on the Housing Register.
If the NRAS property is approved by Communities Tasmania for the Private Rental Incentives Program, the tenant will then sign a lease with Centacare Evolve Housing; a registered and experienced community housing provider.
NRAS properties will only have discretion applied to their application when current tenants are assessed as eligible.