Tasmania's Affordable Housing Strategy 2015-2025
Tasmania's Affordable Housing Strategy 2015-2025 (the Strategy) is the most comprehensive strategy ever developed to improve affordable housing and help those most in need into safe and secure accommodation.
The Strategy provides direction and a clear framework for action and investment over its ten years. Specific actions and initiatives are set out in the Affordable Housing Action Plan 2015 – 2019 (Action Plan 1) and the second stage the Affordable Housing Action Plan 2019- 2023 (Action Plan 2). A third action plan will be developed for the final years of the Strategy.
Underpinning each Action Plan are three strategic interventions to address housing assistance and supply across Tasmania. These are:
- Preventing housing stress of low income earners by increasing the supply of affordable homes.
- Targeted Early Intervention to assist Tasmanians in need who are at risk of housing stress or homelessness.
- Rapid Response and Recovery aimed at people who are at immediate risk or experiencing homelessness to find safe and secure housing.
Action Plan 1, released under the Strategy, was supported with an investment of $73.5 million to deliver new supply of affordable housing and assistance. Action Plan 1 is due for completion in June 2019 and it is on track to assist 1600 households, including new supply of 941 affordable lots and homes.
In developing Action Plan 2, stakeholders agreed that whilst market conditions had changed significantly, the broad three key drivers of the Strategy remain relevant. Participants of the roundtables agreed that the Government’s focus must remain on its primary role to increase the supply of social housing and supported accommodation options. Action Plan 2 delivers the initiatives to meet this demand. It also identifies that as conditions continue to change, it must be able to react and respond appropriately.
This second stage of the Strategy has a commitment of an additional $125 million over five years, taking the total investment in affordable housing to nearly $200 million over eight years. This will result in a total of 3600 households assisted under both Action Plans, including the new supply of 2400 affordable lots and homes.
Strategy and Action Plans
- Tasmania's Affordable Housing Strategy 2015-2025
- Tasmania's Affordable Housing Strategy 2015-2025 - Accessible Version
- Tasmania's Affordable Housing Action Plan 2019-2023
- Tasmania's Affordable Housing Action Plan 2019-2023 - Accessible Version
- Tasmania's Affordable Housing – Action Plan 2015-2019
- Tasmania's Affordable Housing - Action Plan 2015-2019 - Accessible Version
- University of Tasmania Discussion Paper – Key Issues and Innovations