The Tasmanian Government has launched the new Affordable Housing Action Plan 2019-2023, a multi-faceted approach to tackle housing stress and homelessness around the state.
The new Affordable Housing Action Plan represents Stage Two of Tasmania’s Affordable Housing Strategy, and builds upon the work already done to increase the supply of houses across the spectrum.
Broad consultation was undertaken when developing the Plan, which incorporated key themes that were discussed at the Housing Summit and Roundtables held in each region.
$125 million will be invested in housing through the Plan, bringing the total investment across the life of the Affordable Housing Strategy to almost $200 million over eight years. This represents the largest state government investment into affordable housing in Tasmania’s history.
The new Plan will deliver an extra 1500 new affordable homes to Tasmanians, creating an estimated 900 jobs in the building and construction industry and boosting the local economy.
Over the next four years, the Plan will deliver –
- More land – supply around 380 new lots for new affordable homes.
- More social housing – 607 new homes, in areas of high demand.
- More homeless accommodation – 88 more units for those in crisis.
- Better planning – to make it easier to build new homes and increase supply.
- More people in home ownership – 287 low income households helped to buy their own homes.
- Supporting people into private rental – 200 tenancies to assist low income households.
- New support for vulnerable – 418 people or families into supported accommodation.
- Responsive services – Connecting clients to support services and finding safe and secure accommodation for Tasmanians most in need.
- Better data – The Government will undertake work with UTAS, in consultation with peak housing bodies to update and adjust its projections for housing demand and supply necessary across the spectrum, so that we can ensure key movements are identified early and the investment being delivered under Action Plan 2 is well targeted and responsive.
Tasmania’s Affordable Housing Action Plan 2019-2023 can be found here: www.communities.tas.gov.au/housing/tasmanian_affordable_housing_strategy
Back to all news