Transferring to another home - Plain English

Transferring to another home - Easy English

Sometimes, people need to move house. This might be because of changes to:

  • the number of people in the household
  • health needs
  • disability support needs
  • work.

If you need to move house, you can ask for a transfer. This is when you move from your current Housing Tasmania home to another, vacant Housing Tasmania home. You need to talk to your Housing Tasmania Tenancy Officer first. You need to talk to Housing Connect next.

Housing Connect is the way to get housing and support in Tasmania. They work out what kind of housing you need and can also help you find other support services.

Housing Connect will work out the best housing options for you.

They will explain all of your options for housing support, not just information about transfers. You may decide that another type of housing is best for you, rather than waiting for a transfer.

Housing Connect can be contacted on 1800 800 588.

Who can apply for a transfer?

If you want to transfer to a different home that is managed by Housing Tasmania, you must:

  • live in Tasmania, not another state or territory
  • be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident
  • be 16 years or older
  • be a low income earner who is eligible for a Commonwealth Health Care Card
  • not own a home of your own, or land or other property
  • not have financial assets worth more than $35,000 – this includes things like shares, property and money in the bank
  • not currently owe Housing Tasmania any money
  • not have been asked to move out of your current home – this is usually called receiving a Notice to Vacate.
  • have a good history as a tenant with us
  • make sure your current home is well looked after.

When can you apply for a transfer?

People who have been living in social housing for at least 12 months can apply to transfer.

If you have been living in your home for less than 12 months but things have changed for you, please talk to Housing Tasmania.  You can call us on 1300 665 663.

What if you need to move urgently?

 Small icon depicting telephone handset

If you are in an emergency situation, please contact 000 immediately or call the Family Violence Response and Referral Line on 1800 633 937. They are open 24 hours, seven days a week.

If you are in an unsafe situation, Housing Connect can help you. In very urgent cases, it doesn't matter if you are eligible for social housing. Your safety is the most important thing. There is a fact sheet that provides lots of information about staying safe from family violence. Please ask us for this information, or find it at

What is the reason you want to move?

If you want to move to a new home, we will need to know why.

Transfers can happen for a number of reasons.

  • Your current home is not the right size. For example, it may not have enough bedrooms for the size of your family. Or, it might be too big for you.
  • You are at risk – perhaps from family violence, sexual assault or community violence.
  • Your health needs have changed, or you need to move closer to a health service.
  • You have a mental health condition.
  • You need to live closer to the place where you work or study.

When can a transfer go ahead?

Even if you have paperwork and a reason to move, your transfer may not be approved. A transfer can only happen if:

  • you are eligible
  • other housing support will not solve your problems
  • a home is available.

How long do you need to wait?

If your transfer is approved, you will go on the waiting list. Sometimes, people need to move urgently. Their needs are our priority. You may need to wait for a while for the right type of home to become available. Unfortunately, being on the waiting list does not mean that you will be able to transfer quickly, or at all.

What type of home can you have?

When you talk to Housing Connect, they will help you work out what kind of home will suit your needs.

What about social housing providers?

These days, there are a number of different organisations that manage homes for people who live in social housing. They are called 'social housing providers'. Their role is similar to that of a real estate agent or landlord in the private rental market.

Housing Tasmania is one of these providers. Some examples of social housing providers currently working in Tasmania include:

  • Housing Tasmania
  • Centacare Evolve Housing
  • Community Housing Limited
  • Housing Choices Tasmania
  • Mission Australia Housing.

This means that your current home might be managed by Housing Tasmania, or it might be managed by one of the other social housing providers. The social housing providers work in different areas of the state. You can find out more about these providers on our website There is a lot of information under 'Better Housing Futures'. You can also find out more through Housing Connect.

If you want to move from one Housing Tasmania home to another, then you can apply to do this. If you want to move from a home managed by a different social housing provider, different rules may apply. If you want to move from a social housing provider to Housing Tasmania, you will need to apply again. This means that you may need to wait for some time.

Are there any costs for transferring?

When you transfer, you will need to pay for:

  • moving your furniture
  • connecting the electricity, gas (if relevant), the NBN and phone at the new home
  • disconnecting the services at the your previous home.

Housing Tasmania does not cover these costs.

Can you take your pets with you?

You must ask us if you want to have pets in your home.

You can take your pets to a new home if Housing Tasmania says this is ok.

You can read the Pets Fact Sheet if you would like to know more about keeping your pets.

What happens if you can't get a transfer?

If you can't get a transfer, Housing Connect can help you with other housing support options. Sometimes support can help people to stay in their current home. You can't swap homes with another Housing Tasmania tenant. This is against the rules.

It's a good idea to think carefully before you move out of social housing. If you want to move back into social housing later, you will need to apply again. You may need to wait for a long time before you get a home.

Our contact details

Small icon depicting telephone handset

Housing Tasmania - 1300 665 663

Small icon depicting TTY phone instructions

TTY users phone 133 677, then ask for 1300 13 55 13. Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 1300 13 55 13.

Internet relay users connect to the NRS then ask for 1300 13 55 13.

Icon with two small envelopes depicting postable address

Department of Communities Tasmania
GPO Box 65

Small Icon with computer depicting world wide web