Offering You a Home Fact Sheet
This fact sheet has useful information for people who have applied for, and are waiting for, a home. When you apply for a home with us, your details will go on our housing register.
We will contact you when a home becomes available that may be right for you. At that time, we need to talk to you to make sure your circumstances have not changed. The people with the most urgent housing need are generally offered a home first.
What will we talk about before we can offer you a home?
When we talk to you, we will check that:
- you still have the same number of people in your household
- your income is at the right level for us to offer you a home
- you and the members of your household don't have financial assets worth more than $35,000. Financial assets include things like shares, property and money in the bank. They don't include things like your car or your household items.
Keeping your information up-to-date
Most people who need public housing in Tasmania have an assessment with Housing Connect. Housing Connect can work out what kind of housing you need and can help you if your circumstances change.
If your circumstances change while you are waiting for a home, you need to let Housing Connect know. It's important that all of your information is kept up-to-date. This will help us match you to a home that suits your needs.
Checking your application
Each application is considered on a case-by-case basis. Before we contact you to offer you a home, we check your history as a tenant. This includes things like:
- whether you have lived in a Housing Tasmania home before
- the condition of the last home you lived in when you left
- if you have rejected any of the homes we offered you – and the reasons you rejected them
- any money that you owe
- if you are bankrupt
- if you own any other property
- if you have more than one application for housing with us
- how much you are earning at the moment.
- who can use social housing
- signing a lease
- paying the rent
- your personal information
- transferring to another home
Other fact sheets that might be useful
- Who can use social housing
- Signing a lease
- Paying the rent
- Your personal information
- Transferring to another home
Housing Connect contact details
Housing Connect - 1800 800 588
Housing Connect - email@example.com
Our contact details
Housing Tasmania - 1300 665 663
TTY users phone 133 677, then ask for 1300 13 55 13. Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 1300 13 55 13.
Internet relay users connect to the NRS then ask for 1300 13 55 13.
Department of Communities Tasmania