Fact Sheet

Printable Version

"When you want to move into social housing in Tasmania, you need to have an assessment with Housing Connect. Housing Connect is the way to get housing and support in Tasmania. They do the assessments. They can also help you if your circumstances change. Housing Tasmania does not do assessments any more."

Who can apply for social housing?

To apply for social housing, you must:

  • live in Tasmania, not another state or territory
  • be an Australian Citizen, or a Permanent Resident including Refugee visa subclasses 200, 201, 202, 203 and 204
  • be 16 years or older
  • be a low income earner who is eligible for a Commonwealth Health Care Card
  • not own land or a home of your own
  • not have financial assets worth more than $35,000. This includes things like shares, property and money in the bank. This amount includes your assets and the assets of any other people who live in your household. It does not include things like your car or your household items.

Waiting lists and waiting times

Once you have had your assessment, you will go onto our waiting list. This is a list of people waiting for a home. We also have a list of homes that are available. We match these as best we can. Some people have more urgent needs than others. This might be because of disability, homelessness or family violence. The highest level of need is called Priority. We aim to make sure that Priority applicants get housed first.

Waiting times can vary because of:

  • the type of homes that are available
  • where you want to live
  • whether you have unpaid debts or other problems in your history as a tenant.

We will contact you when a home becomes available that might be right for you.

What to do if your circumstances change

If your circumstances change while you are waiting for a home, you need to let Housing Connect know. It is important that all of your information is kept up-to-date. This will help to make sure that we can match you to a home that suits your needs.

Getting to know the social housing providers

These days there are a number of different organisations that manage social housing homes. They are called 'social housing providers'.

Their role is similar to that of a real estate agent or landlord in the private rental market. Housing Tasmania is one of these providers.

Social housing providers will:

  • collect the rent,
  • make sure the home is being looked after well, and
  • follow up on any problems you are having.

Some examples of social housing providers currently working in Tasmania include:

  • Housing Tasmania
  • Centacare Evolve Housing
  • Community Housing Limited
  • Housing Choices Tasmania
  • Mission Australia Housing.

The home offered to you might be managed by Housing Tasmania. Or it might be managed by one of these other social housing providers. The social housing providers work in different areas of the state. In some areas, there is only one provider. So, if you want to live in that area, you will have to live in a home that is managed by that provider.

You can find out more about the social housing providers at www.communities.tas.gov.au/housing

You can also get more information through Housing Connect.

Tahlia's story

Tahlia is 21 years old. She has been having a lot of problems at home. Her parents drink a lot, and sometimes her Dad is violent. She's been feeling scared and alone. She's also been having trouble finishing her studies at TAFE.

Tahlia has been staying with her friend. Her friend suggested Tahlia go to Housing Connect to get help finding a home. Housing Connect helped Tahlia through the assessment process. They explained all the paperwork she needed to do and they helped her to get some support.

Tahlia was put onto the public housing waiting list. She had to wait about six months before she was offered a place to live. Tahlia now has a stable home to live in. She is back at TAFE and she's feeling a lot better about life in general.