"If you have no income but need housing assistance, it is important that you read this fact sheet."
Who should read this fact sheet?
You should read this if you have an applied at Housing Connect for housing assistance and you (or a household member) have no source of income as a result of factors such as:
- Commonwealth Government policies, such as statutory income recipients who go overseas (those in receipt of a benefit),
- Client inaction such as clients who are entitled to receive a benefit they do not claim,
- Clients who are under migrant sponsorship agreements such as Assurance of Support.
Please check with Housing Connect when your housing needs are assessed.
Assessing clients with no income
If you (or a household member) have no income you will be deemed to be receiving a Centrelink benefit in the majority of cases.
If you have a preclusion period with Centrelink because you have been terminated from employment, or are serving a “liquid assets waiting period” then your income will be deemed to be the Centrelink income that you would otherwise be entitled to, such as Newstart.
If you are excluded from Centrelink benefits, your income will be deemed as if you were receiving the benefit you would otherwise be entitled to. This will occur when the preclusion period is 12 months or less.
If you (or a household member) are on a reduced income because you have ‘breached’ Centrelink requirements or if you are repaying a Centrelink debt, your full income will be deemed as the full entitlement.
There are some cases where it is not appropriate to deem an income, and in some of these cases clients will not be eligible for housing assistance.
Clients not eligible for housing assistance include:
- Clients who are under migrant sponsorship agreements (e.g. Assurance of Support),
- Those subject to a two year waiting period for Centrelink benefits (e.g. New Zealanders).
If you are unsure whether this applies to you, please check with:
- The Australian Department of Home Affairs www.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-and-support/contact-us
- Centrelink www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/contact-us/phone-us