Frequently Asked Questions

We think we need to use a restrictive intervention for one person in a group home, but it will inadvertently affect the others in the house. What should we do?

If after examining alternatives (e.g. alternatives to the intervention, alternative accommodation environments etc) you feel application is still required; you will need to demonstrate how the effect of the intervention will be minimised for others in the house.  For example, if the application is for approval to lock the front door to the home, you will need to explain to the others they can leave, they just need to ask for the door to be unlocked or have their own key.  If the other residents lack sufficient skills, then protocols need to be developed to maintain their right of access to the community (see next section).

Why do we need to apply for the use of a restrictive intervention?

Our aim is to protect the people we are supporting, their families and supporters. Our aim is to improve practices in relation to restrictive interventions and the use of behaviour management techniques that may obviate the need or minimise the need for restrictive interventions.

What makes a good support plan?

A good support plan includes all the elements as outlined in the link below.  This includes elements for implementation and monitoring of the plan- see “Factsheet- Evaluation Criteria”.

Why is there so much focus on the need for a behaviour support plan?

A behaviour support plan can help to identify the function of a behaviour of concern.  Research suggests if we know why a person uses a behaviour we can reduce the behaviour by half.

The focus of a behaviour support plan is positive behaviour support.  Research indicates we can reduce behaviour of concern by around 80 per cent if we use positive behaviour support. This should in turn lead to a decrease in amount of restrictive interventions used.  In addition, the NDIS Q&S Commission requires providers to organise for a BSP to be developed if a restrictive intervention is being used.

How to I apply for the use of a restrictive intervention?

If you are proposing a personal restriction you will need to complete the Guardian and Administration Board form 10. If you are proposing an environmental restriction you can complete the form titled “Application for approval to carry out a restrictive intervention”.  In both cases, you will also need to contact the Senior Practitioner.

What happens at the end of the approval period – e.g. 90 days for an environmental restriction?

If the intervention is still required, you will need to re-apply for its use.  If you don’t want a break in approval periods you will need to re-apply for the use of the intervention prior to the expiry of the 90 days.  Approval periods for the GAB vary from 3 months to 2 years.

What happens if we use a non-approved restrictive intervention-for example, grab someone to stop them running on the road?

The Act states that the Senior Practitioner must be notified as soon as practicable after the event. This applies even if the intervention was used for reasons of duty of care. The ‘Use of Unauthorised Restriction’ form can be found on the Senior Practitioner webpage.

What if an appointed guardian says the use of a restrictive intervention is OK.

If the intervention is authorised under any enactment relating to guardianship, then approval is not required through the Disability Services Act 2011.  However, the NDIS Q&S Commission will still require providers to report to them any use of a restrictive intervention approved by a Guardian.

What if the practice is intended for safe transportation? E.g. a buckle guard?

The definition of ‘restrictive intervention’ does not include an action that is taken to enable the safe transportation of a person, therefore this does not require formal approval.  However, the Disability Services’ Restrictive Interventions Guidelines 2014 state that the Senior Practitioner must still be consulted prior to implementing such a practice.  Providers still need to contact the Commission to check whether or not any reporting to them is required.

What if I have a question about whether something is a restrictive practice- or not, or a general enquiry?

You are welcome to email or phone the Senior Practitioner. The fact sheets on the website may also be able to answer your question.

Telephone:  61663567

Mobile: 0428 197 474