Medications play an important role in helping individuals to maintain health, prevent illness and treat disease. However, inappropriate or incorrect use of medications can cause harm.
Medication management occurs at both an individual and system level. It includes:
- how medications are selected, ordered and supplied
- how people take medications or are assisted to take them
- how medications use is recorded and reviewed
- how medications are stored and disposed of safely
- how medications use is supported, monitored and evaluated.