Quality governance principles are vital to developing sporting excellence, providing participation opportunities and increasing participation levels. Good governance provides a sound platform to deliver quality sport and recreation services that fulfill community needs and provide broader community benefits.
What is Governance?
Governance is the system by which organisations are directed and managed. Governance encompasses three key areas of best practice management within organisations, comprising:
- Development of strategic goals and direction
- Monitoring performance in achieving goals and complying with legal and regulatory obligations
- Ensuring the board acts in the best interests of its members
Effective governance requires leadership, integrity and good judgement, and will ensure an organisation is accountable, transparent and responsible in undertaking activities.
Where to find information about Governance
- Good Governance Guidelines and Checklist for Sporting Organisations
- Australian Sports Commission Governance Principles
- Constitutions for Sporting Organisation
- Strategic and Operational Planning Toolkit
- Risk Management Toolkit
- Good Governance Information Sheets