Members of the Frank MacDonald Memorial Study Tour 2018 who will visit the Western Front in Europe and attend the Anzac Day Dawn Service at the Australian War Memorial at Villers-Bretonneux, in France, have been announced.
The students selected for the Frank MacDonald Study Tour won the essay-based competition for grade nine students that helps promote and preserve the meaning of the Anzac spirit in the Tasmanian community. Each tour party member will research a soldier or nurse and presents their research during the tour.
The students will research the following soldiers:
|Student||School||Soldier being researched|
|Joshua Brennan||Rose Bay High School|| Private Harold Stephenson|
|Macy Charles||Taroona High School|
Hubert Francis Charles
|Jordan Moss||St Patricks College|| Sergeant David Henry Allan|
52 Infantry Battalion
|Nicole Patrick||Launceston Grammar Church School|| Lieutenant Alexander Arthur Evans DSO MC|
2nd Tasmanian Imperial Bushman
4th Division Artillery AIF
|Francis Munro||Taroona High School|| Private Harcourt Adams|
15th Battalion, 7 Reinforcement
|Molly Woolcock||Launceston Grammar Church School|| Private Athelstan William Shoobridge |
- John Bennett, of Kingston High School, will research Private William Isaac Arnold, 12th Battalion
- Melanie Murphy, of Burnie High School, will research Corporal George Mills, 8th Battalion
Tour party members
- RSL representative James (Jim) Austin will research Private Victor Valentine, 40th Battalion
- Parliamentary representative Ivan Dean MLC will research Private Matthew Sylias Venn
- Department of Premier and Cabinet representative, Samantha Davis, tour leader.