The role of the Tasmanian Women’s Council is to:
- advise the Tasmanian Government on issues of importance to women
- contribute to the development of strategies that address inequality
- increase the participation of women in all aspects of society.
About the Tasmanian Women's Council
Members of the Tasmanian Women's Council (TWC) are appointed to champion the rights and interests of women in Government decision making.
The Council advises the Tasmanian Government on issues of importance to women and contributes to the development of strategies that address inequality and increase the participation of women in all aspects of society.
Members are appointed as individuals, not as representatives of particular groups or organisations. Membership is voluntary and members may be appointed for up to three years.
Terms of Reference
Information on the Council's structure and functions are outlined in its Terms of Reference
- Terms of Reference (PDF, 254KB)
The Council values social, economic, demographic and regional diversity.
Members are appointed based on the following criteria:
- Membership of key women's organisations or ongoing contact with formal or informal networks.
- Capacity to make worthwhile contributions in an issue area of relevance to women in Tasmania such as leadership, literacy, homelessness, employment, health, education, child care, family violence, consumer affairs, justice, welfare, environment and other issues of concern to women.
- Capacity to make worthwhile contributions in relation to the participation of groups of women in Tasmania who have particular needs. For example, Aboriginal women; women of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; women with a disability; women from regional communities; young women; or women from the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or intersex (LGBTIQ+) community.
- Ms Kate Beer
- Ms Leonie Stewart
- Dr Mary Duniam
- Ms Nadine Ozols
- Ms Bronwyn Tamplin
- Ms Jill Bannon
- Ms Lisa Burnell
- Ms Sue Daly
- Ms Kate Kent (Chair, Ex-Officio Member)
For more information about the Council and applying please contact Communities, Sport and Recreation.