The Tasmanian Government strongly supports and recognises the value of volunteering in Tasmania through its relationships with Volunteering Tasmania (Tasmania’s peak body for volunteering) and other Tasmanian volunteer-based organisations.
Volunteering in Tasmania – the Facts and Figures
Volunteering helps build stronger, more connected communities. There are a number of benefits for individuals and organisations that result from volunteering including:
- building skills and networks;
- improving physical and mental health and wellbeing; and
- positively contributing to the wellbeing of other individuals and communities.
Tasmanians are particularly well known for volunteering their time, with past research showing that Tasmania leads Australia in rates of participation.
The social, cultural and economic value of volunteering to Tasmania was conservatively estimated at $4.9 billion in 2014, as referenced in Volunteering Tasmania’s biennial State of Volunteering in Tasmania report.
The report also shows that:
- There are approximately 400 000 volunteers in Tasmania - 78.8 per cent of the population gives time, unpaid, in a way that benefits the community.
- People between 65 and 74 years of age volunteer, on average, 22.8 hours per month. People in other age ranges participate at the average rate of 12.5 hours per month.
- Volunteers donate 7.1 million hours to the community.
- It would cost $2.5 billion to replace volunteers in our community.
- The Volunteering industry is a driver for job creation – over 5 000 full and part time jobs are generated through volunteering. Volunteering related expenditure in Tasmania enables over 5 000 full time and part time jobs to the value of $205.6 million. It also drives taxation revenue across State and Federal governments to the value of $82.2 million.
- The 2014 Tasmanian State of Volunteer Report
- Volunteering Australia (the National peak body for volunteering) has released the State of Volunteering in Australia 2016 Report
How you can volunteer
Visit the Volunteering Tasmania website to find volunteering opportunities in your community and field of interest.
Volunteering Tasmania’s Volunteer Connect portal makes it easy for volunteers and organisations to find each other and ensure a great match.
Through Volunteer Connect, you can search the database for vacancies, and organisations can place free advertisements for volunteer positions.
Find a volunteering role by accessing Volunteer Connect