The National Disability Strategy 2010-2020 outlines a 10-year national approach to improving outcomes and whole-of-life opportunities for people with disability in Australia.
The Strategy aims to influence the planning, design and delivery of mainstream policies, programs, services and infrastructure, as well as the specialist disability services system, so that people with disability can participate as equal citizens in all areas of Australian life.
The Strategy recognises that as part of this approach, governments need to listen to people with disability, their families and carers to better understand their needs, the barriers they face and how to work together to improve participation and life outcomes.
The Strategy is structured under six broad policy outcome areas:
- Inclusive and accessible communities
- Rights, protection, justice and legislation
- Economic security
- Personal and community support
- Learning and skills
- Health and wellbeing
These six outcome areas were developed in consultation with people with disability and reflect the principles of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities to which Australia is a signatory.
The National Disability Strategy has been agreed by all levels of government. This means that for the first time in Australia's history, all governments have committed to a unified, national approach to improving the lives of people with disability, their families and carers.
The full Report to the Council of Australian Governments 2012 is the first report of the Standing Council of Community and Disability Services on the National Disability Strategy. It outlines the approach to implementing actions over the life of the Strategy and includes the first implementation plan, Laying the Groundwork 2011-2014.
- National Disability Strategy 2010-2020: Report to the Council of Australian Governments 2012: Laying the Groundwork 2011-2014 (PDF)
- National Disability Strategy 2010-2020: Report to the Council of Australian Governments 2012: Laying the Groundwork 2011-2014 (Word)
- National Disability Strategy 2010-2020 Progress Report to the Council of Australian Governments 2014
Summary documents of the National Disability Strategy are also available for download:
- National Disability Strategy 2010-20 Report - Summary Document (PDF)
- National Disability Strategy 2010-12 Report - Summary Document (Word)
A copy of the National Disability Strategy 2010-2020 is available at the Australian Government Department of Social Services