Since 2014 there has been an increased focus and interest in migration and multiculturalism at a national and state level.
The new Multicultural Policy will establish a set of principles and values that we want to bring to life in the Tasmanian Community. This will require the Government and entire community to work together. The Policy will be accompanied by a three year action plan that will set out the specific actions that the Tasmanian Government will take to achieve the priorities of the Policy.
In developing the new Policy and Action Plan, we will draw on your experience and views, as well as successful initiatives in other jurisdictions and new research about what works.
To ensure our approach to multiculturalism, and identified priorities, are ‘on track’ and relevant, we want to hear from you!
There are a number of ways to be involved:
- We invite individuals to have their say through an online survey.
- Both individuals and organisations are welcome to provide written submissions.
- Community and business group may invite us to come along to a meeting so that your members may have a say.
- You may like to attend a regional forum with one of our community partners.
One way to have your say is by doing our online survey. Survey participants can also enter to win their choice of a $100 Coles Myer or iTunes gift card.
Click HERE to take the survey.
Have your say on current issues and challenges in building a multicultural Tasmania at a regional forum hosted by the Multicultural Council of Tasmania (MCOT) in collaboration with Communities Tasmania.
- When: Friday, 23 November, from 6pm
- Where: Milton Hall, 13 Frederick Street, Launceston
- When: Saturday, 24 November, from 11am
- Where: Moonah Multicultural Hub, 65 Hopkins Street, Moonah
These are free events, with light refreshments provided. If you would like to register please call MCOT on (03) 6170 9197.
If you would like to organise your own meeting we would be pleased come along to talk with you and hear your views.
There is no set format for written submissions. However, you may wish to consider the following questions.
- What is your vision for a multicultural Tasmania?
- What principles should underpin the way in which we operate?
- How can we create an inclusive, harmonious and united Tasmania where people of all cultures, languages and faith feel a strong sense of belonging and can achieve their goals?
- What are key factors that contribute to positive outcomes for new migrants in Tasmania?
- What are key issues for people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds in Tasmania?
- What are barriers to positive outcomes for migrants in Tasmania?
- What actions could the Tasmanian Government take to respond to these barriers?
The closing date for surveys and submissions is Friday 30 November 2018.
Submissions can be lodged via email at email@example.com or by post to:
Multicultural Policy Consultations
Communities, Sport and Recreation
Department of Communities Tasmania
PO Box 65
HOBART TAS 7001
Queries and Invitations
If you have any questions about the new Multicultural Policy and Action Plan, or would like to invite us to meet with your group, please contact:
Communities, Sport and Recreation phone 6232 7642